Sunday, July 2, 2017

Virtual Running Shorts - June 5k

I posted back in April about the 2017 Virtual Running Shorts Series by runDisney. This year the mascot is Pluto and there are three virtual 5k races: one in June, July, and August. A virtual 5k means you can run 3.1 miles where ever you want and whenever you want.

I signed up for the series, which means running all three 5k races. At the end I plan to write a review of the series, including things like what I thought about the cost and registration process, the medals and how they were delivered, etc., but as I go along I will also be blogging about each individual race and talking about that specific experience. This blog post covers my June 5k.


I chose to run my June 5k on Saturday, June 24 to give me 5 weeks of training before my race. I have a friend who also signed up for the VRS series, and she was able to run "with me" at the same time on her treadmill on North Carolina, which I thought was really cool and very encouraging! I put on my Virtual Running Shorts t-shirt that I purchased from the Disney Store, and headed to the race location.

I ran on a local running trail about 15 minutes from my house, a trail we love to use when walking our dogs. What's amazing about this trail is that there are two routes, one is 1 mile in length and the other is 1.1 - how perfect! So, I did two laps of the 1 mile route, and one lap of the 1.1 mile route to complete my 3.1 mile 5k.


The trail is really pretty, as you can see. Lots of beautiful trees which helped keep me shaded. It was about 68 which is decent, not too hot and the humidity felt relatively low. There's also a bridge which gives a slight change of scene on the 1.1 mile route, as well as a pretty creek. The trail is almost entirely flat which makes for easier terrain for the novice like myself. There are just two small inclines on each route, which I walked.

On my last 5k in November of 2016, I ran until I needed to catch my breath, then walked until I got my breath back, and then resumed running. I completed the race in 39 minutes, but I got a pain in my side which was miserable and I'm not sure why it happened. This time I decided to do 1 minute of running followed by 2 minutes of walking instead, in the hopes of not getting pains in my side, and not burning out before the end since I've had half the amount of training for this 5k compared to the training for my last 5k. This ratio is Week 1 or 2 of the training program I've been using.


Using the 1 minute run/2 minute walk ratio seemed to work really well. 1 minute was up before I knew it and 2 minutes felt like enough time to rest a little before running again, so that I never felt out of breath. I remember thinking that I could go on indefinitely using this ratio because it didn't make me feel tired.

At the end when I could see that I had maybe a quarter of a mile to go, I decided to ditch the ratio and just run until the end because it didn't seem that far and I felt like it would take maybe 2 minutes, which isn't that much longer than 1 minute. Well that was a mistake because I think I went too fast because I felt like I was going to throw up and had to switch to walking until the finish line. I finished in 53:10 which I was incredibly disappointed with and still am.


I know I shouldn't be so disappointed with my time at this stage, especially when I'm just getting back into running, but I can't help it. I know I've done better before and if I hadn't this probably wouldn't have phased me. I also know that a time that slow would have got me swept in an actual runDisney race on property. Thank goodness for a virtual race!

Despite my disappointment, I was pleased that I ran a 5k, especially since being a virtual race it's possible to just keep putting it off, not finish 3.1 miles, or not run altogether. But I enjoyed this method because I wasn't last over the finish line, I didn't see a ton of other race participants pass me, I didn't get swept for not keeping a required pace, etc. because it was a virtual race, which was less distracting, not intimidating, and more encouraging. So I went home and promptly unwrapped my medal - I'd earned it!


I chose the ratio I chose because it was taken from a running plan (so I thought that must be more legit than making up my own) and it was an early week that I'd already completed without difficulty, so I felt like that was appropriate. However, in hindsight I think it was maybe a little too easy and I don't need to be so stringent in sticking to a plan.

I should have listened to my body more and if I had my breath back after 1 minute of walking, I should have run again instead of walking a whole second minute for the sake of it. I think that would have significantly improved my time. I'm planning on running my July 5k toward the end of the month to maximize my training time beforehand. We'll see what ratio I go with then or whether I just make it up on the fly like I did in my November race. I will blog about that race too so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the report Chloe. Don't get too discouraged, with all of our D-Cotter's advice and your learning you'll do much better on the second one!

    ReplyDelete